According to Wikipedia “The ripple effect is a term used to describe
a situation where, like the ever expanding ripples across water when an object
is dropped into it, an effect from an initial state can be followed outwards
incrementally. Or as I like to think of
it one action can start off a whole bunch of chain reactions.
My ripple effect started March this year.
Last year I persuaded Hubby to buy me a mountain bike as I had this idea
of keeping fit. I remembered having a
bike when I was about 12 years old and how I enjoyed the freedom. So we purchased a bike and I got home eager
to try it out. I realised quite soon as
I made my first maiden voyage around the block that a lot seemed to have
happened since I was 12 years old. For a
start my balance just did not seem the same as it used to be. I wobbled unsteadily down the road and found
that turning right was a major obstacle as I no longer seemed to be able to
look behind me to check if it was safe to move into the middle of the road and
keep moving! Traffic went past me and I
wobbled again. Another problem was
that my bike of fond memories had three gears operated by a small lever, this
one had twenty-one gears operated by twist grips on each handle bar and as
Hubby sternly told me I was not to back pedal when changing gear (as used to be
the case) as this would cause the chain to come off. It was all very scary.
Needless to say it was not used much last year. Since then Hubby has also purchased a bike
to travel to and from work on (I now need the car to transport Jess to and from
various appointments etc) so on the bright Sunny morning in March we decided to
go for a ride together to a local beauty spot.
- And so it begins…….
We were on our way back – about 15 mins from home and I must admit I had
enjoyed myself although still having problems deciding upon which gear was
best. Due to this I was looking down at
one point to see which gear I was in, when I felt myself wobble. For some stupid reason I pulled up the front
brake which had the effect of the front of the bike stopping abruptly and the
back wheel shooting into the air, thus throwing me over the handlebars. After picking myself up I knew that I had
broken my wrist, even under the purple/pink swelling that had appeared and
through the pain that I was now feeling, I could see that my wrist was the
wrong shape and it seemed to be in the wrong position – I cursed not having
missed an episode of Casualty I knew this was not going to be a pleasant
experience.
I was right in my assumption, the outcome was that I had to have a small
operation to fit a metal plate into my wrist to hold the bones in place. This is considered a better and more
reliable option than a plaster-cast as the bones are manipulated in place
correctly and then held together with the plate to allow for re-growth. The operation went well and I was sent home
the same day but with the news that I had to have two weeks complete rest
(apart from daily physio) and that I would not be able to lift anything heavy
until at least 6 – 8 weeks. No one
could have prepared me for the pain and emotional roller-coaster ride I
experienced during that first week. The
pain from my wrist was really bad and constant despite very strong painkillers,
the physio was torture in itself but I knew it was also vital. I found myself crying uncontrollably some
days for no apparent reason, although I have since been told it was probably
the after effects of the anaesthetic.
The worst thing was the realisation that I would not be able to look
after Jess for some weeks and Nanny Joan was due to go on holiday soon, I felt
that I had let everyone down.
I needn’t have worried. I belong to
a family that pulls together in a crisis.
Everyone rallied round and took turns in looking after Jess when needed
and also looked after me too.
But back to the ripples
which were still in progress. I have had
rather too much time really to reflect on things and I have not always liked
what I have come to realise. For
instance, Hubby has not only had to still go to work each day but he was also
having to take care of all the housework, shopping, laundry etc and cook a meal
for us both each night so he did not deserve the critical words that I aimed in
his direction one night about the way he had hoovered the lounge! I felt so ashamed afterwards and promised myself that I would take more time to think before I speak in future and to try and curb my critical nature.
Now some three weeks down the line
I am happy to report that I am no longer in constant pain. I have gained almost full use again of my fingers
and thumb and although my wrist is still swollen and sore in places I have been
told that I can now resume light duties although still cannot lift anything
heavy for the time being. This means
that I have been able to help out again with Jess’s learning through play etc.,
as long as I have someone close at hand to pick her up for me for feeding
etc. Although my escapade was
inconvenient it has not been the end of the world and I am well on the way to
making a full recovery. This has only
been made possible due to everyone pitching in with not only helping with Jess
but also me too, plus the many get well wishes I have received have really
helped pull me through it has been a very humbling experience.
I am learning a lot during this
time of healing – 1. Never assume that the things you enjoyed as a child are
going to be as enjoyable years later.
The mind may stay young but the body does not! 2. Think before you
throw your pebble into the pond of life and consider the effect that the
ripples might have.
Anyone want to buy a bike?
| Nearly three weeks later |
Glad youre on the road to recovery! I too have taken up childhood hobbies including cycling and piano lessons. No mishaps like yours but I struggle with gears too and the slightest incline leaves me gasping for breath with jelly legs. Never felt like this 40 years ago did it? ;)
ReplyDelete