Friday, 24 February 2012

KEEP ON TWINKLING LITTLE STAR



Some more good things have happened over the past few days.  Natalie (aged 5) has had her first school report and it is brilliant.  She has ‘excellent’ next to every subject.  I had to smile as they ask the children what they would like to be able to improve on and Natalie had said she would like to be able to draw better!   I am so proud of her.

I am also proud of Jessica who is continuing to make the right progress.  She is now seriously attempting to crawl and did actually crawl backwards just the other day for a short distance.  She also managed to go forwards briefly ‘commando style’ to her Nanny Joan.  We are still practicing the ‘four point kneeling’ position with her and I have to say that there have been times over the last few days when she has almost done this herself. 

She can now get from a sitting position onto her tummy with control and lifts her arms up straight in front of her and her head up.  Of course any parent would get excited at this stage of their child’s development but in Jessica’s case it is even more exciting as not so long ago she could not even sit up unaided. 

This brings me to another ‘magic moment’ that happened just this afternoon.  I was reading the rhyme ‘Twinkle Twinkle Little Star’ to Jessica who was sitting next to me on the sofa.  The book she has breaks the rhyme into a verse for each page (I did not realise there was more than one verse!) with a colourful picture each one featuring the star.  There are also corresponding pictures down the side which when pressed play part of the tune.  Jess loves it; it is her favourite rhyme, especially when you do the actions with her.  I decided to try and get her to point to the star as each page was turned.  I stopped reading the rhyme and just asked her to point to the star (also pointing to it myself).  I had to repeat this over and over again but I felt sure that she understood what I meant as I could see her eyes focusing on the picture.  After what seemed like quite a long time my patience finally paid off and after asking her to point to the star for the umpteenth time she slowly lifted her little arm and leant forward and touched the star!  I could not stop the tears from rolling down my cheeks as I shouted ‘well done Jess, well done’ and gave her a clap (which she loves), she gave me a big grin and looked so pleased with herself.    To the casual observer this may seem such a small thing to get emotional over but when you are involved with a child with developmental delay it is like the most wonderful thing in the world.

I am ashamed to say that I am probably not known for my patience, but helping to look after Jess has taught me so many things, patience being one of them.  I think it is also teaching me humility and an appreciation of the good things in life, which can sometimes be as simple as the action mentioned above.  Yes I would be lying if I was to say I would not like to win the lottery, or be able to buy clothes without having to check the price tag first, but I am slowly coming to the realisation that everything I  REALLY NEED is right here all around me.  The love of a family, the support of true friends, sometimes in the hustle and bustle of society today and the stresses and strains people are under, it is easy to become blind to these simple pleasures.  It is true that I seem to cry more nowadays, but they are mostly tears of happiness or joy when something as simple as pointing to a picture is achieved or tears of raw emotion when seeing a video or reading another blog by someone who is in the same situation.  I can now relate to so much more than I ever could before and it is an empowering experience.




I love this photo, taken of Natalie & Jess at an aquatic centre during half term recently.  Again, nothing special to the casual observer but they do not realise the effort that the child on the right is going through to be able to stand unaided for just the short time while the photo was being taken, how can they ever understand the feeling of joy and hope that such an action gives to her family.  Sometimes we see the picture, but not the whole picture.  Sometimes we make assumptions and so often we are wrong.