Monday, 13 February 2012

A FEW SMALL STEPS FOR MAN .......




I often go home smiling to myself in the car.  Sometimes it is due to Jess and sometimes it is due to Natalie.  A couple of weeks ago Jess had her new special boots.  She had been measured for these some months ago, but like everything else it seemed to take ages before they were ready for collection.  Still, once we had them she seemed to take to them straight away.  We put them on her while she was in her standing frame and to keep her feet warm when we took her out.  They are pink suede effect and look really cute on her tiny little feet.  Soon after having them she was standing (without her frame) leaning against the sofa or window ledge (she likes to look out of the window), obviously someone had to be near to her incase her legs gave way but she was getting stronger all the time. 

On Friday, just before I was due to come home, I had Jess stand up as she had just finished her session in her standing frame and still had her boots on. I was holding her around her waist, Emma decided to record this on her phone.  We were totally unprepared for what happened next as my shriek of delight (in my Black Country dialect) at the start of the video confirms!  Jess without any help took her first step!  We could not believe it, but then followed another and another - I helped on one occasion by putting her one leg forward and tapping the other one but the steps she took were done all by herself and she was loving it.  Nanny Joan arrived with Natalie just as the video ends and Jess was able to show her other Nanny and big Sister her new skill.  

So that is why I arrived home on Friday evening with a huge grin on my face.  Those few small steps may not mean much to the casual observer but to a family who has been told that this child may never be able to walk they are huge strides..  Emma has updated her u-tube video and I have included the clip so that you can share this magical moment. Please click on link in blue below. Oh and I shan't be offended if you want to turn the sound down!!

FIRST SMALL STEPS