The days go by so quickly nowadays (or is it just me getting old!) that it is easy to think that nothing much has happened in the past twelve months. But as you will see from my brief resume’ that follows, quite a few things have taken place.
We are so fortunate in the fact that Jess, apart from her global developmental delay, has no other major health issues. Many families that we know of have to deal with epilepsy and other problems as well as GDD. Genetic testing to try and find a reason for the developmental delay is still going on in the background but I think it is fair to say it has become less of an importance as time goes on.
The biggest ‘WOW’ factor last year has to be Jess walking. This only happened towards the end of the year but just in time for her Bridesmaid debut in August. I can remember being told a while back by one of her physiotherapists that she thought Jess would eventually be able to walk one day but would probably always need some form of ‘aid’ to assist her. At the time I felt really pleased by that, and who cares if she needed a walking frame or the like. Well Jess blew that theory out of the water! Her progress was slow at first and she was a little lacking in confidence but how that has changed in the last few months. She is now into everything, walking from room to room at home and in nursery. The cat can no longer seek refuge by going into another room, going up and down stairs now involves having to negotiate various gates and everything else has had to be moved higher up or locked away as Jess has a surprisingly long reach. Although she still needs her wheelchair for longer distances she would rather be walking, especially around the supermarket where she can rearrange all the shelves!
Now for a quick look at 2013.
JANUARY: I started off the year with chicken pox but as you can see I was not very poorly. Nanny Anne & I had lots of fun with play dough.
FEBRUARY: My wheelchair arrived and I loved it
I now love playing with different things, even the washing basket is fun!
MAY
This was a good month as we received news that my application for a special trike had been approved by a charity. I really hope it comes in time for my Birthday.
Meanwhile I had fun at a local town park and met some very special friends:
JUNE:
| PLAYING IN THE CONSERVATORY |
| IT WAS A WET MONTH BUT I LOVE WATCHING THE RAIN |
| NOW TIME FOR A QUICK READ |
My Mummy organised a Swimathon and my Sister and her friends took part, they raised lots of money for Newlife Foundation to help offset the cost of the special bed they are providing for me
JULY
YAY I am now three years old! And my bike arrived in time for my Birthday
AUGUST:
My Auntie Sarah & Uncle Paul got married and my Sister, Mummy and I were bridesmaids. I was able to walk down the aisle holding onto my Mummy’s hand. Nanny Anne could not stop crying but it was because she was so happy
SEPTEMBER:
My special new bed arrived and I love it
I am getting into lots of mischief now:
and I love to watch my big Sister playing:
NOVEMBER:
This month belonged to my Sister Natalie who won a very special award in recognition of the swimathon she took part in.
DECEMBER:
I had a lovely Christmas with all of my family. My Sister also had her 7th Birthday this month too. I played the part of Mummy Pig in my Nursery Christmas play.
Now I look back we really did have a busy 2013 and it is lovely to see how much Jess has achieved.
Although it is good to look back and to take stock I believe it is more important to look to the future and to keep on pushing those boundaries.
Who knows what new challenges lie ahead but one thing is certain, I’ll be sure to keep you posted.
HAVE A VERY HAPPY AND PEACEFUL 2014 EVERYONE AND THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT DURING 2013.
I leave you with a quote which I have taken from Jess's nursery calendar:-
"The best thing about memories is making them"

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for reading - please feel free to leave a comment.