The support group I belong to Swan UK have been posting
quotes and sayings that people like to use to get them through the bad
times. This reminds me of my Mum, her
favourite saying was
‘As one door shuts another one opens’.
She had a saying for every occasion but this
one was definitely used more than the rest.
Every time something bad happened to me she would quote it and I used to
screw my face up in typical teenage fashion and carry on grumbling.
When I became a parent myself I suddenly found that I was
using this very saying to my own children.
They probably gave me the same reaction that I gave my Mum!
As I have grown older I have realised that this saying,
corny as it sounds, does carry a lot of weight. Sometimes we are so wrapped up in the negative that we fail to
see the positive.
When Jess had her M.R.I. scan for example, we were told that
she may never sit unaided, walk, hold an adult conversation etc. etc. it was
completely devastating. By then it was
obvious that there was something ‘not quite right’ but we were not prepared for
this. All the quotes and feel good
sayings in the world could not have made us feel any better at that particular
time. What a long way Jess has come since then though. She did learn to sit up,
she learnt to crawl, she learnt to pull herself up onto the furniture and then
cruise around it and now she is able to walk short distances just holding onto
your hand.
Lots of doors have been opened up to us. For my part I have been able to give up work
to help care for Jess which has been such a rewarding experience in itself and
it means I get to spend time with both my Granddaughters on a regular basis. As
a family we have learnt new skills such as how to feed Jess through a NG tube
and now how to pump feed her through her gastrostomy button. We have helped her with her physio. We are learning Makaton sign language. Because of Jess I now work as a volunteer
at her S.E.N. Nursery and I am learning new skills all the time helping other
children with various disabilities. The very fact that you are reading this
blog has only been made possible due to Jess’s undiagnosis. I would never have
thought of doing anything like this before.
None of these opportunities would have been open to me if it wasn’t for
Jess being born with different needs.
So please when you see Jess and children like her don’t see
only what they cannot do. I know
you probably mean well when you express sadness but these children are not
closed doors.
Jess and her friends at nursery have taught me that all
things are possible and no door is closed for long. Not to dwell on what cannot
be done but how to appreciate everything that is done. Celebrate each
achievement not for it’s scale but just for the very fact that it is an achievement
and therefore something positive.
In this modern day society we tend to judge people by how
big their achievements are. We strive
to be bigger and better and life becomes an ongoing competition. We are sometimes so busy worrying about what we can’t have or haven’t got that we forget how much we have
already.
Difficulties are opportunities for better things
they are stepping stones for greater experience
Perhaps some day you will be thankful
for some temporary failure in a particular direction.
When one door closes
another always opens
as a natural law it has to be, to balance.
(Brian Adams from "how to succeed")


Another very uplifting post Anne. Last sentence so true. Thanks for the timely reminder to count our blessings (as my nan used to say!)
ReplyDeleteThank you Jane. I know the words I have written are easy to write and I was afraid it might come accross a bit glib. I have had my share of times wishing that things could be different but then I love both of my Granddaughters for who they are as individuals. My Husband once remarked that if Jess was not how she is she would not be Jess and he was right.
ReplyDelete